Military Assistance

SoldiersWhen a household member has been ordered to active duty, deployment or a change of duty station, it may be difficult for the family to pay their utility bills. Minnesota law protects military personnel from shut-off if they can’t pay their bill when the following conditions are met:

  1. The household income of the member is at or below 50 percent of the state median household income. A municipal utility or cooperative electric association utility may (i) verify income on forms it provides or (ii) obtain verification of income from the local energy assistance provider. A member is deemed to meet the income requirements of this clause if the member receives any form of public assistance, including energy assistance that uses an income eligibility threshold set at or below 50 percent of the state median household income.
  2. A member makes “on time” payments under a payment agreement that considers the financial resources of the household.
  3. A member receives referrals to energy assistance, weatherization, conservation or other programs likely to reduce the member’s energy bills.

If a payment schedule cannot be agreed upon by MVEC and you, you have the right to appeal. You can request an appeal form to complete and send to the MVEC Board within 10 working days of the date of notice or forfeit your right to appeal. The Board will advise you and MVEC of its decision regarding your appeal. MVEC will honor the payment schedule of the MVEC Board as long as you follow it.

To see if you are eligible for Military Energy Assistance, please fill out this Military Personnel Shut-Off Protection Form.

For more resources about Minnesota’s Military Energy assistance, go to:

Emergency Assistance Contacts

If you require emergency assistance at the time of disconnection, there are various agencies that may be able to assist you.
Carver County Social Services (General assistance) (952) 361-1600
Dakota County Human Services (651) 554-5611
Hennepin County Energy Assistance (952) 930-3541
Le Sueur County Human Services (507) 357-2251
Rice County Human Services (507) 332-6115
Scott County Human Services (Single) (952) 445-7751
Sibley County Human Services (507) 237-2981
CAP Scott/Carver (952) 496-2125
CAP Dakota (651) 322-3500
Heat Share (Salvation Army) Primary Heat Only (612) 721-1668
(507) 345-7840
(888) 999-1568
Minnesota Valley Action Council (507) 345-6822
(800) 767-7139
Three Rivers Community Action (507) 732-7391