Minnesota Valley Electric Cooperative (MVEC) and Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU) made a joint request to the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission to approve a plan for transferring customers from one utility to the other in light of the City of Shakopee’s annexation of Jackson Township.
Dear new Prior Lake MVEC Member,
In June, it was announced your electric service address is part of the Minnesota Valley Electric Cooperative (MVEC) and Shakopee Public Utilities (SPU) plan for transferring customers from one utility to the other. Current SPU customers with Prior Lake addresses south of County Road 42 will become members of MVEC.
Progress Update: Both utilities have completed field audits including equipment review that ensures reliable and safe delivery of service as well as mapping updates to accurately identify new service areas.
- Meter installations will start October 17: The meter transition will be a multi-week phase-in project and is being scheduled by designated locations. We cannot transfer all services at one time and anticipate installations will go to mid-November. When it is time for your location to have the meter installed, MVEC crews will remove your current SPU meter and install a new MVEC automated meter at your location (there is no charge for the meter transfer).
- Notification process: When your service address is ready for the switchover, you’ll receive an automated pre-recorded phone call message (see below) from MVEC’s phone number 952-492-2313 the evening before your scheduled meter installation. An orange door hanger will be left at your location identifying the work at your location has been completed.
Phone message: Hi – this is Minnesota Valley Electric Cooperative, your new utility provider. Meter changeouts are starting tomorrow. You will see a short power interruption as we switch out your Shakopee Public Utility meter to an MVEC automated meter. If working from home, please be aware computer and electronics interruptions will occur at one point during the day. If you have questions, call MVEC at 952.492.2313. Welcome to the cooperative. We look forward to serving you!
- Prepare for service interruption: You may experience a power interruption for up to 60 minutes while the new meter is installed. If you work at home or have other sensitive electronic equipment please plan accordingly.
- Completion: Once your meter transfer is complete your electricity will be provided by MVEC.
We appreciate your patience as we work through the service transition process. If you have any questions please call MVEC at 952.492.2313 or email us at [email protected] Our office hours are M-F 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Dear new Prior Lake MVEC member,
It is great to welcome you as a member-owner of Minnesota Valley Electric Cooperative (MVEC). You may be wondering how the co-op differs from a municipal electric utility, like Shakopee Public Utilities. Electric cooperatives are local, member-owned, democratically controlled, and not-for-profit. Anyone receiving service becomes a member-owner. That is you!
Although your service provider has changed, we want you to know MVEC costs and service standards are affordable, reliable, and bring with them exceptional service. Billing statements and service features may look different, but rest assured MVEC offers a wide variety of programs/services to help you be in control of your energy costs. Having member options is important to us, as well as being your local, friendly energy experts.
Your Electric Rates
- General Service Residential Rate GS10 Schedule: The rate schedule is included and shows seasonal rates which reflect higher wholesale electricity costs in the summer months when demand is higher than during the winter months.
- The price members pay for electricity is determined by MVEC’s Board of Directors. Current residential rates are:
- Monthly service fee: $10.00
- October-May: 11.7¢/kWh (first 2,000 kWh)
- June-September: 12.5¢/kWh (first 2,000 kWh)
- MVEC rates are designed with you and the cooperative in mind: This means fair, equitable, and based solely on the costs to maintain our system and safely deliver power to you. Rates are approved, not regulated, by our Board of Directors.
- You have rate options: Members can sign up for voluntary Energy Wise programs for electric heating, cooling and electric water heating. Participating members receive discounted rates and/or bill credits. Savings range from 10-50% on your electric bill. You’ll learn more about these options in your new member packet (part of your first bill) and four subsequent welcome emails.
- Monthly electric bill: Bill terminology can be found at
https://www.mvec.net/understanding-electric-bill-rates/legacy-bill/ Or follow the QR code.
You’re more than a customer to us. You are a member, which means you’re a part owner of the co-op and have unique privileges and rights. MVEC takes pride in delivering safe, reliable, and low-cost electricity, and we are dedicated to serving your needs today and into the future! We look forward to seeing and engaging with you in the local community. If you have questions, please call MVEC at 952.492.2313 and ask for Member Services to assist you. Our office hours are M-F 8 a.m-4:30 p.m.
Ryan Hentges, MVEC Chief Executive Officer
Hello! Create your new MVEC RESIDENTIAL account now! We are excited to have you join the cooperative. Completing your new service application ensures your account is up-to-date and accurate in our system. No transfer fee will be applied when your account transfers from Shakopee Public Utilities to Minnesota Valley Electric Cooperative.
Service Application link: https://MVEC.formstack.com/forms/formerspu
**Complete your Start New Service Application by Thursday, November 17, 2022, to be put in a random drawing to win one of three $100 bill credits. Winners will be notified by November 30, 2022.**
Why is this important?
Correct phone numbers are important to help expedite any outage restoration. Make sure you list your main contact number.
Your email address allows us to send you information for your account – such as setting up payment programs, joining energy-saving programs, and keeping you connected to important cooperative news. We will send you a short series of emails to tell you about our offerings. You get to pick what program/service is best for you and your household. Please know we will not share or sell your email address.
Once you send your MVEC new service application to us, you will receive an email that will include your:
- MVEC account number
- Payment due date
- Options to avoid the deposit based on your application selection
Questions? Call MVEC at 952.492.2313 and ask for Member Services to assist you. Our office hours are M-F 8 a.m-4:30 p.m. Or, email us at [email protected]
Both utilities have mutually agreed on the service area boundaries impacted. Homeowners and businesses in Jackson Township, currently served by MVEC, will be welcomed as utility customers of Shakopee Public Utilities. Likewise, current SPU customers with Prior Lake addresses south of County Road 42 will become members of Minnesota Valley Electric Cooperative. See map below.
If you have any questions, please contact your current power provider.
Service area gained by MVEC is shown in pink. Shakopee will receive the service area shown in green.