If you already participate in a metered Energy Wise program and have a load control receiver on your home, you can receive additional savings by including an electric pool or fountain pump on the program for free.
- Qualifies for half-price electric rates (residential members only).
- MVEC will periodically interrupt power to the electric pump (for pool, fountain or other water feature device*) by sending a signal to your load control receiver.
- By participating in this voluntary program, electric use is temporarily reduced during peak periods (when electric costs are at their highest), and participants will save energy and money on wholesale power costs for themselves and the cooperative as a whole.
Additional money-saving tips:
- You can further increase your savings by having a timer installed to cut down total amount of run time for the pump – especially during overnight hours or when you aren’t using your pool or fountain. Paired with the half-price electric rates, your usage charges can be impacted dramatically, resulting in a lower electric bill.
- Upgrading to a variable speed (or 2-speed) pool pump is also beneficial.
- Check the settings on your pump and adjust them to the minimal flow requirement. Reducing the flow rate can result in significant energy savings. A variable speed system typically has a premium efficiency motor, which also results in savings.
*Pumps installed in a spa or Jacuzzi do not qualify
Examples of savings:
|Motor Size||kWh used per Season||Cost to Run
|Savings to Member||Savings per Month|
|1 HP||2700 kWh||$324.00||$186.00||$138.00||$30.67|
|1.5 HP||4050 kWh||$486.00||$279.00||$207.00||$46.00|
|2 HP||5400 kWh||$648.00||$373.00||$275.00||$61.00|
|*||Figures calculated using 150 summer days of pump usage (~5 months)|
|*||Figures calculated using 3,600-hour run time per season|
Questions? For more information contact:
Mike Orvick or Michael Hinde
(952) 492-2313 or (800) 282-6832