Below is a sample former Alliant Energy residential electric bill with detailed explanations.
1. Member Service Information – Provides office hours, member service hours and other contact information for MVEC.
2. Total Amount Due and Due Date – Summarizes total amount or budget amount due and the due date for the service address listed. You will also find your personal MVEC account number here. If you participate in automatic bill pay or recurring credit card the green box on your bill will indicate DRAFT or CREDIT CARD CHARGE.
3. Monthly Electricity Usage – Will compare previous monthly electric usage to your current month’s usage on the Main Meter. The graph will also display the past 13 months of your total kilowatt-hour (kWh) usage.
4. Explanation of Current Charges – Summarizes usage period, the number of days billed and your statement date. Includes information on your meter(s) by showing present and previous readings and kWh used. The multiplier varies by meter size and multiplies meter usage to calculate your actual kWh amount.
5. Main Meter Energy Usage – Outlines costs associated with generating and delivering the electricity to your location.
6. Basic Monthly Service Charge – Recovers a portion of the cost to maintain the electrical service at your location (includes poles, meters, line, substations, equipment and administrative costs). This charge is included on all member bills – regardless of how much or how little energy is used each month.
7. Account Details – Includes your Co-op Ownership Adjustment, Power Cost Adjustment, Conservation Program fee, applicable taxes, previous balances, adjustments, credits, budget billing amount, rebates and other miscellaneous charges. If you participate in Operation Round Up, your monthly donation appears here. It also shows total amount due and due date.
8. Messages from MVEC – This area features important messages about products, services, promotional offers, notices and events at MVEC.
9. Payment Stub – Detach this section of your electric bill and return it with your payment. If you participate in Automatic Bill Pay or Recurring Credit Card, the “Draft Date” is noted on the payment stub and the “DO NOT MAIL PAYMENT” message also appears.
10. Daily Electricity Usage – Smart Meters allow MVEC to capture your daily energy usage for a one-month period and show how much energy you’ve used on each day of the week. This graph (Main Meter and metered Energy Wise* usage is combined on graph) is a great tool to help you manage your monthly energy costs and look at ways you can conserve energy.
11. Account Details Billing Terminology – Gives definitions to line items on your bill in section 7 on the front of your bill concerning Co-op Ownership Adjustment, Alternative Transaction Adjustment, Power Cost Adjustment, Conservation Improvement Program, Basic Monthly Service Charge and Green Plan renewable program.
12. Account Options – Lists the choices available to personalize your MVEC electric account regarding Payment, Money-Saving, Green and Techie choices.
13. Other Important Billing Information– Summarizes other billing information, including Operation Round Up, due dates, late payment charges, deposit fees and check processing.