The rate structure for members who are former Alliant Energy customers follows the rate case filed with the Minnesota Public Utility Commission (MPUC). New services and/or transfers in the former Alliant Energy service area also follow these monthly rates :
June-September: $0.11322/kWh (first 1,000 kWh) and $0.11322/kWh after that
October-May: $0.09438/kWh (first 1,000 kWh) and $0.06549/kWh after that
Basic Monthly Service Charge: $8.50
- This is your standard electric rate and is labeled as “Main Meter” on your electric bill.
- The standard electric rate applies to all single-phase members who have a monthly peak demand less than 100 kW.
- General Service Rates include seasonal rates. Why? There are higher costs on wholesale electricity in the summer months (June – September) because energy demand levels are higher than the winter months (October – May).
- Members participating in Energy Wise programs receive a discount and/or bill credit.
- Various program opportunities are for electric water heating and cooling.
- Members can voluntarily sign up for qualifying Energy Wise programs.
- To learn more, contact an Energy Specialist, or check out various Energy Wise program options.
- Once the electricity is transmitted to MVEC’s substation, the cooperative assumes responsibility for delivering the electricity to your location. Costs for the main meter include poles, meters, line, substations, equipment and administrative costs.
- Some costs are billed on a fixed monthly basis (Basic Monthly Service Charge – $8.50), while others are billed based upon how much electricity you used during the billing period.
- The Basic Monthly Service Charge is the same for all former Alliant Energy customers in this rate class. It recovers a portion of the cooperatives fixed costs including expenses related to owning and maintaining meters, member service personnel, process meter readings, billing and payments.
- Check out understanding your electric bill for billing terminology