Each year, MVEC awards $1,000 scholarships to area high school seniors.
- Applicants must be graduating high school seniors whose parents or legal guardians are MVEC members.
- Students attending public, private, parochial or home school are eligible to apply.
- Scholarships are randomly selected, evenly per MVEC district.
- The 2022 deadline to apply was Feb. 21. Meet our 2022 winners.
The money for the scholarships is funded through MVEC’s Unclaimed Capital Credits. This is money that would otherwise be claimed by the state of Minnesota.
- Scholarships are available in the amount of $1,000 and are distributed evenly among MVEC’s three voting districts. The money for scholarships is largely funded through MVEC’s Unclaimed Capital Credits that would otherwise be claimed by the State. The scholarship program will be advertised annually in the cooperative’s newsletter – the Electric Eye, on MVEC’s website, at high schools within MVEC’s service area, and various other communication mediums.
- The scholarship recipient must be a graduating high school senior whose parents/legal guardians are active members of MVEC. An active member is defined as someone who is receiving electric service from MVEC with membership in the name of the parents/legal guardians. High school seniors and non-traditional students are allowed to apply. Non-traditional students include those attending private, parochial, or home school.
- Scholarships will be awarded on the basis of funds available, application completion and will be randomly selected, among MVEC’s three districts.
- Applications for MVEC scholarships must be received by the published deadline date. Scholarship winners will be announced at the cooperative’s Annual Meeting and the student and at least one parent/guardian is asked to attend the meeting to receive their scholarship certificate. MVEC will notify winners by e-mail and mail. The applicant agrees that if awarded a scholarship, his/her name and photo may be used in various communications by MVEC (i.e. newsletter, website, social media, etc.). Completed applications can be sent to Scholarship Program, Minnesota Valley Electric Cooperative, 125 Minnesota Valley Electric Drive, Jordan, MN 55352.
- Scholarships will be awarded to students attending an accredited institute of higher education. This includes a 4-year college or university, vocational-technical trade school (offering associates degree), community college or junior college, and business college (offering associates degree). The scholarship must be used for educational costs, and the student must enter the accredited institution in the fall of the school year for which the scholarship is given.
- Recipients of scholarships must maintain a minimum of a 2.0 cumulative grade point average on a 4.0 scale and carry a minimum of 12 hours or be considered by the registrar to be a full-time student.
- Scholarship payout: Students receiving a scholarship are responsible to provide a copy of their grades at the end of the first quarter/semester within five days of receipt. Also, a copy of the registration for the next quarter/semester should be included. Once correct documentation has been received and paperwork has been verified, checks will be made payable to the school and sent to the student/parent’s home address on record with MVEC. Information can be sent to Scholarship Program, Minnesota Valley Electric Cooperative, 125 Minnesota Valley Electric Drive, Jordan, MN 55352.
New! MVEC lineworker scholarship
The scholarship amount will range from $1,000 to $3,000 depending upon how many applications are received. The scholarship must be used for educational costs, and the student must enter line school in the fall of the school year for which the scholarship is given.
The 2022 deadline to apply was Feb. 21.Apply Online
Basin Power Electric Cooperative, one of MVEC’s wholesale power providers, also awards a $1,000 scholarship to an MVEC member-student. This scholarship recognizes academic and community achievements and includes an essay question and teacher/counselor recommendation. Learn more
The 2022 deadline to apply was Feb. 21.Download Application