Pay for your electricity as you use it – You’re in control!
Just like putting gasoline in your car, with this prepayment program, you’re in total control of your energy usage and costs. Add money into your account daily, weekly, or as your budget allows. You get to decide. View video
PayGo – what’s
| Traditional Bill
|How much are my electric rates?||Same||Same|
|Is a deposit required?**||Yes||No|
|Are any late fees charged?||Yes||No|
|Are there any reconnect fees?||Yes||No|
Monitoring your account is easy:
- Register for a SmartHub account (payment preferences are saved) or
- Use PayNow if you want to make a quick, single payment
- PHONE: Call (866) 999-4504 with our automated Touch-N-Go phone system.
- APP: Add the SmartHub app on your mobile device or tablet.
- IN-HOME DISPLAY: This gadget gets plugged into an outlet in your home and displays your account balance. It will beep, and a light illuminates if you fall below a $15 low-balance threshold. (Display updates daily between 2-2:30 p.m.)
- EMAIL & COURTESY CALL NOTIFICATIONS: If your account goes below the $15 threshold, you can receive an email or automated phone call (phone calls will not occur on weekends or holidays). If your phone number changes, it’s your responsibility to notify MVEC.
Please note: If your bill due date is the 26th of each month, your location was part of the Alliant Energy acquisition, and the metering infrastructure currently in place will not support Pay as you Go. We apologize you are not able to participate in the program at this time.
- Complete the online application
- MVEC will review your application to set up your PayGo account and determine your refund deposit, if applicable.
- When participating in PayGo, you are protected from disconnection between Oct. 15 and April 15, due to Minnesota’s Cold Weather Rule. You must fill out a form to qualify. Pay as you Go cold weather protection form
If it’s easier for you to make smaller daily and weekly payments when you wish rather than one payment each month, this is a great program to use. Likewise, you can add funds to your account to cover your electricity needs for several months or a longer period of time.
- 95% of MVEC members using this payment program said it’s easier to manage their electric bill so it fits their monthly budget.
- Statistics indicate that participating in the PayGo program helps lower electric consumption because you are more aware of your energy use. 59% of MVEC PayGO members said their electric costs were noticeably lower.
How much does it cost?
It’s FREE! A minimum balance of $50 is needed to get your account started. This $50 balance goes toward your future electricity usage. You can purchase any amount of energy you would like going forward, as long as you keep your PayGo account balance above zero.
How does Pay as you Go work?
Think of it like putting gasoline in your car: you fill up your tank, and, on a daily basis, you use up some of the gasoline. When you need more gas, you fill it up again. With PayGo, the balance in your account decreases as you use electricity. When your balance gets low, simply add additional funds to your account. You choose when and how much. Plus, you won’t have any fees or deposit charges while on this program.
How is my daily bill calculated?
Your PayGo account balance will calculate daily. It includes electricity used for that day, part of the monthly service charge, any taxes and/or city fees, and any payments received.
What will happen if my PayGo account runs out of funds?
If your account balance reaches zero, your electric service will be suspended. Electric service will resume within 30 minutes after receiving a payment which creates a positive balance in your account. Energy purchased between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. will not post until 7 a.m. Your power will not be restored until around 7:15 a.m. Electric charges will continue to be applied daily as long as the account is active, whether the service is on or off. To stop service and avoid recurring charges, you must contact MVEC.
Can I get off the program at any time?
Yes, but if you joined the program to avoid deposit charges or had the deposit refunded to your account and you have not participated for one year, the deposit will be added back to your electric account and is due immediately.
If I have a deposit applied to my account how is it refunded when I sign up for PayGo?
Once MVEC receives your application, we will refund your deposit and calculate how much electricity you’ve used since your last regular billing. This usage can either be paid in full at the time of your account transfer or set up as an arrangement to be paid over time. If your arrangement is over $200, you will need to pay the difference. Accounts with an arrangement will have 50% of each payment applied to that outstanding usage until paid. Once paid in full, 100% of your payments will be applied toward future electricity. To get started, MVEC will contact you to make a minimum payment of $50. This $50 goes towards your future electricity usage. If your arrangement was over $200, the difference will also be collected at this time.
Accounts with an arrangement will have 50% of each payment applied to that outstanding usage until paid. Once paid in full, 100% of your payments will be applied toward future electricity. To get started, MVEC will contact you to make a minimum payment of $50. This $50 goes towards your future electricity usage. If your arrangement was over $200, the difference will also be collected at this time.
Members choosing to participate in this program to avoid a security deposit agree to participate for 12 consecutive months, without incident and to keep their account balance above zero to avoid having their electric service suspended.
Members receiving two or more site visits during a 12-month period will be removed from the program and billed a deposit equal to two times their average monthly bill or $265, whichever is greater.