Remotely change heating and cooling settings from your computer or smart phone and see your real-time energy consumption!
Cooling and heating costs can make up more than half of your energy bill. Programmable thermostats can reduce energy consumption for cooling and heating by as much as 15 percent a year, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. They help reduce the amount of time your air conditioner or furnace is operating – meaning less maintenance costs in the long run.
WiFi Thermostat Benefits
- You can control WiFi thermostats from your computer or smart phone, making it easier than ever to manage your home comfort and energy use.
- Set it and forget it! Better manage temperature settings when you’re at home or away. You’ll automatically lower you energy costs, as well as help MVEC ensure lower rates for everyone.
- Learn everyday energy-saving habits! Be a part of the solution in controlling costs by reducing consumption when prices and rates are high due to increased demand for electricity.
Enroll a Nest or Honeywell WiFi Thermostat
The following items are required to participate in the program:
1. Central Air – The thermostat controls your central air-conditioning unit. It does not work with window air conditioners.
2. Wireless Network – The thermostat must be connected to your wireless Internet network. That gives you the ability to remotely adjust the temperature.
3. You must own your home or have permission from your landlord to have the thermostat installed.
4. Members may not participate in the Energy Wise Air Conditioning programs and the WiFi Thermostat program at the same time.
- MVEC’s voluntary program is designed to reward you for reducing your electricity use during periods of high demand for electricity, while helping the environment and reliability of the electric grid.
- Members agree to brief, limited events which adjust their thermostats during peak electric demand periods from June 1 through September 30 on non-holiday weekdays. You can anticipate in at least one event, and a maximum of up to 18 events per summer. Peak electricity demand typically occurs on hot summer days.
- MVEC members who have installed a qualifying connected thermostat controlling their central air conditioning system and/or air source heat pump are eligible.
- Participants will receive a $50 bill credit (one per unit that is enrolled in MVEC’s Energy Wise program) after being accepted into the program and 10% discount on your summer electric bill (June – September) for subsequent years that you participate in the program*. Members already participating in an A/C Energy Wise program will remain on their current program and receive the 10% discount or reduced rate. For example, if you are receiving a reduced rate, you will NOT also receive the additional 10% discount.
- Members with small businesses or more than one central air conditioner will receive a $10/month bill credit on statements dated during the months of June – September of every year. You must use a minimum of 200 kWh each month to qualify for the bill credit.
- MVEC understands that members can have more than one thermostat in the house if it has multiple zones. Thermostats and rebates need to be purchased and submitted at the same time. Up to a max of two rebates are allowed within a 5 year period of the first rebate paid out.
How does the Energy Wise WiFi Thermostat Program benefit the community?
- Supports Minnesota’s energy initiatives.
- Protects our environment by lowering emissions.
- Helps reduce the cost of peak energy in our region.
How will I know if I’m eligible to enroll?
To be eligible, you must meet the following qualifications:
- You are a MVEC member.
- You have successfully installed and have an eligible internet-connected thermostat.
- You use your connected thermostat to control your working central air conditioning and/or air source heat pump.
Which thermostats qualify for the program?
Below is the current list of qualifying thermostats.
|Honeywell||Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat, Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat with Voice Control, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat, Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Touchscreen Thermostat, Wi-Fi 9000, Wi-Fi 9000 with Voice Control, Wi-Fi Focus Pro, Wi-Fi Vision Pro|
|Nest||The Nest Learning Thermostat and Nest Thermostat E|
How do I sign up for the Energy Wise Wi-Fi Thermostat Program?
- Locate your existing thermostat among the list of eligible models. If you don’t have an existing eligible thermostat, choose a model from the list, purchase and install it.
- Click the Enroll Now button to go to your thermostat’s enrollment site, where you’ll follow a series of simple steps to enroll.
- Once your eligibility is confirmed, you will be enrolled in the program. You will receive an email notification on your eligibility status.
What is my enrollment incentive?
Participants will receive a $50 bill credit on their electric bill after being accepted into the program within six to eight weeks.
How do I receive the 10% discount on my summer bills?
You will receive the 10% discount on your summer electric bill (June – September) for subsequent years that you participate in the program*. Members already participating in an A/C Energy Wise program will remain on their current program and receive the 10% discount or reduced rate.
How will I know that an event is in progress?
This depends on your thermostat provider and their notification process. Notifications can appear on the thermostat and/or in your web mobile application. Other than online Daily Load Management updates, MVEC does not send out notification when an event occurs.
How will my thermostat be adjusted?
- Before an event, MVEC will pre-cool your home by 2 degrees. Once the event starts, your thermostat will be automatically adjusted 4 degrees above the current temperature.
- The adjustment will typically last no more than 4 hours, and will occur between 5 and 9 p.m. on non-holiday weekdays from Jun. 1 through Sept 30.
- Once the adjustment event is over, your thermostat will return to its normal set point and/or schedule.
- You can opt out of an event at any time from your mobile device, web browser or thermostat.
Will participating in the program negatively impact my comfort?
Adjustment events will only affect the temperature by 4 degrees, with minimal impact on comfort. Your participation is voluntary.
Radio brand wifi thermostats, installed in 2015 or prior – send email to firstname.lastname@example.org. In subject line indicate “unenroll Radio wifi thermostat program.” Removal from this program will end your participation and monthly savings for all enrolled thermostats.
*If you currently participate in the Energy Wise WiFi Thermostat Program, you are not eligible for this offer; as an existing participant you already receive program incentives.
MVEC does not approve or endorse any one device or vendor over another and is not responsible for the vendors’ services and products.