Energy Wise 101
Energy Wise is what we call the variety of cost saving off-peak programs that allow the co-op to efficiently and cost-effectively manage and maintain the flow of power during high energy demand days.
Other terms used interchangeably for these programs include Off-Peak, Load Management, peak shave, or Demand-Shifting programs.
Taking advantage of special rates offered by your utility can help you better manage energy use and could provide savings on your power bill. If you participate, your benefits will vary depending on which version of the programs you are on – unmetered or metered.
Unmetered programs: Cooling and water heating products are cycled during high-demand energy times. You can enroll for free online. Products and benefits:
- Water Heaters – save $7 per month. This program is year-round.
- Cooling programs with Cycled AC (AC10 program) or Wi-Fi Thermostat – receive a 10% discount on your electric bill from June through September.
- No other items qualify for this program and must be on a metered program.
Metered programs: You hire an electrician to physically install qualifying products to a dedicated electric meter on your home with MVEC metering equipment. Products and benefits:
In exchange for discounted electric rates or bill credits, your products enrolled in Energy Wise are used by MVEC for load management which usually means cycling that product on and off for brief periods during high-demand times. Participants say they enjoy the savings and don’t really notice any different comfort levels – hot or cold – in their homes.
- The MVEC-provided Load Management Receiver sends signals that will cycle your enrolled products. Think of it as a remote-control switch that the co-op operates.
- Peak electricity hours refer to the specific time of day when electric consumption is at its highest, and electricity rates are the most expensive.
- These programs shift usage off high demand times (or off-peak), reducing the amount of wholesale power MVEC needs to purchase. Allowing us to control your heating units saves the co-op money, and we pass those savings on to you as a 10% bill credit or as half-price electric rates.
- Off-peak windows are not pre-determined or statically scheduled. Each morning, the MVEC team analyzes that day’s needs and determines the following:
- Is there a need for load control today? If yes:
- What products will be controlled for that day?
- What is the timeframe?
- Is there a need for load control today? If yes:
Load management times are posted weekdays online or you may sign up for email notification. Please check out our Load Management page for more information.
Unmetered Programs are self-enrolled by our members through these website links:
Metered Programs require installation by your electrician with equipment provided by MVEC.
- Process for Metered Off-Peak Programs:
- You determine the products to be enrolled in MVEC’s Metered Off-Peak Programs (also known as Energy Wise).
- Air Conditioning is not eligible for a metered program by itself.
- You work with your electrician of choice to determine the scope of the job and the parts needed from MVEC. Sharing MVEC’s wiring diagrams with your contractor will help in the planning process.
- Note: MVEC can provide contractor referrals. If interested, contact [email protected] outlining the job to be done. This will help us connect you with the appropriate contractor.
- Once the conversation with your contractor is complete, you can contact MVEC for any parts needed for the job as advised by the contractor. You may choose either option below:
- MVEC will ship the parts needed for your configuration (at no cost).
- You can pick up the parts at MVEC’s office on the business day after receiving the order confirmation.
- When onsite work is complete and the electrical inspection has been approved, call MVEC at 952-492-2313 to schedule an off-peak meter installation. Note: this is free of charge to our members. Your discounted Energy Wise rates will not apply until this step has taken place.
*If the above steps or required work has not been fully completed as specified above, you will be assessed a trip charge for the time our meter technicians have to make an unnecessary site appointment.
- MVEC will install the Off-Peak meter and enroll you in the energy wise program. Your item is now actively on the Energy Wise rate plan and this will show up on your account.
- Receive a rebate: When the process is complete, you will qualify for any eligible rebates for your electric product. Please complete the appropriate rebate form found here.
Explore and choose the options that make sense for your household:Cooling Your HomeElectric HeatingWi-Fi ThermostatsElectric Water HeatersPools and Fountain PumpsElectric VehiclesCombine Programs – and save moreFinance an Energy-Efficient ProjectMy Energy Xpert Audit Tool
NOTE: Be sure to always keep your breaker power on for any items connected to an Energy Wise program. Failure to do so can result in the loss of your 50% Energy Wise savings. Turning off the breaker could result in being charged additional fees.