MVEC has an extensive Right of Way tree-clearing program. Crews systematically inspect trees within our service area for two reasons:
- To manage trees that pose a problem for system reliability
- To ensure the safety of our members
2022 NOTICE: MVEC rotates around our 969-square-mile service area each year to keep up with tree growth. In 2022, we are focusing on the New Prague, Savage, Prior Lake, and Burnsville areas. You may see bucket utility trucks from MVEC and our tree trimming associate, Carr’s Tree Service, in your neighborhood. Our Right-of-Way maintenance program helps prevent power interruptions by trimming or removing trees and brush which could be potential fire hazards or cause power outages. Tree-to-line contact can also cause momentary interruptions or blinks in power. Tree trimming helps prevent extended outages during storms or strong winds.
Each year, MVEC crews make a visual inspection of the lines to identify areas where future trimming may be needed.
MVEC has the right to trim or remove trees and brush growing within the right-of-way corridor. This is the zone around power poles and lines.
Right-of-way corridors will be:
- 20 feet for single-phase distribution lines on either side of pole center.
- 30 feet for multi-phase distribution lines on either side of pole center.
- Other options are available on a case-by-case basis. This Alternative Maintenance Proposal form must be filled out and on file with MVEC before proceeding.
- If you have additional questions regarding tree clearance on your property, please contact our Dispatch Center at 952.492.8255.
Fast-growing, tall trees (such as elms, willows, silver maples) located directly under primary wires can cause repeated outages. To prevent repeat outages and keep the cost of our services down, we prefer to remove these trees rather than frequently prune them. A representative of MVEC will notify the property owner before removing a tree.
MVEC will de-energize lines for professional tree trimmers so they can perform the trimming safely. Please call MVEC Dispatch at (952) 492-8255 or (800) 232-2328 to schedule a de-energizing appointment prior to contacting a tree trimming contractor. Please contact us 48 hours prior to the date you would like your lines de-energized.
MVEC contractors will clean up brush from a related trimming, but this does not include additional dead/diseased trees, brush/wood from a member’s property, or debris resulting from a storm or emergency trimming. Members may contact their city or county to see if there is an assistance programs.
If you have trees on your property that need trimming or removal, you can count on MVEC’s subsidiary, Carr’s Tree Service, to do the job. Carr’s provides FREE estimates for your home or business for tree shaping, tree trimming, tree removal, lot clearing, brush mowing, aerial bucket services, and power stump removal.
Carr’s Tree Service also offers plant health care services, including trunk injections to protect:
- ash trees against Emerald Ash Borer
- oak trees from burr oak blight, insect problems, mitigate oak wilt problems
- elm trees against Dutch Elm Disease
For more information, call Carr’s Tree Service at 888-470-3355.